Training and Supervision
- Is clinical supervision in Third Wave Psychology and Psychotherapy available from Ottawa River Psychology Group? The answer is an emphatic yes. We are a group of registered psychologists and psychotherapists who are committed to disseminating knowledge and practice of Third Wave and process-based approaches to clinical and counselling psychology and the ethical professional practice of psychology and psychotherapy. If you have an interest in developing skills and knowledge and a Third Wave professional identity in alignment with the stated vision, mission and values of Ottawa River Psychology Group we are happy to explore supervision and supervised practice opportunities with you. Please read our Third Wave Psychology and Psychotherapy training and supervision options below.
- About our Third Wave Psychology & Psychotherapy Clinical Supervisors: Our Clinical Supervisors are either Doctoral level Registered Clinical Psychologists with graduate training in supervision, or Senior Clinicians who are Registered Psychotherapists with advanced training in Supervision to meet College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario Standards. After reviewing your application to one of our training tracks below, we will invited promising candidates for a panel interview. For candidates successful in completing the application panel interview and post interview reference check, we may proceed as follows:
- offer you a position in the training track to which you applied,
- recommend an alternative training track,
- assign a primary supervisor to you on the basis of match in interests, skills, professional development goals, and registration requirements,
- recommend specific steps to take to meet specific clinical training goals/meet conditions for joining ORPG in training.
Third Wave Psychology & Psychotherapy Training track options at Ottawa River Psychology Group
- Third Wave Psychology or Psychotherapy Graduate Level Clinical Practicum Year option with certificate
- Third Wave Psychotherapy Post-Graduate Level Supervised Practice Year/Third Wave Psychotherapy Fellow option with certificate
- Third Wave Psychology Supervised Practice Psychologist/Third Wave Psychology Fellow option with certificate
- Third Wave Psychotherapy Early Career Clinician option – no certificate
- Third Wave Psychology or Psychotherapy Clinical Consultation or Clinical Supervision – no certificate
- Third Wave Psychology or Psychotherapy Graduate Level Clinical Practicum Year:
- Our Graduate Level Practicum Year Supervisors: Ottawa River Psychology Group has senior clinicians and doctoral-level psychologists with experience in Third Wave psychological interventions available to supervise master’s and doctoral level clinical practica.
- Every year we take several graduate practicum students who are registered in accredited university programs from Canadian universities for a Graduate-level Clinical Practicum Year. The student is welcomed into our team and assigned a primary supervisor after a team interview.
- We have experience supervising graduate practicum students who are registered in APA or CPA accredited master’s or doctoral programs in Clinical or Counselling Psychology at accredited Canadian universities. We will develop your Graduate Level Clinical Practicum Year in collaboration with the Training Coordinator at your home institution.
- We recommend applying for your Graduate-level Clinical Practicum Year from January of the year in which you wish to begin a practicum starting in September. We begin reviewing applications early in the New Year and will continue to April or until our available spots are filled. April applications are at risk of being excluded as offers may have already been made to earlier applicants. However, we will consider exceptional candidates who are a strong match with ORPG values at any time.
- Doctoral Students: If you are a doctoral student in clinical or counselling psychology from an accredited Canadian university, and you are seeking a Graduate-level Clinical Practicum Year supervised experience please contact our Acting Clinical Director or Training Director at Ottawa River Psychology Group, after speaking with your doctoral practicum coordinator at your home university. Email info @ ottawariverpsychology.com or call 613-656-3331 for more information.
- Master’s Students: If you are a master’s student in clinical or counselling psychology from an accredited Canadian university, and you are seeking a Graduate-level Clinical Practicum Year experience please contact our Acting Clinical Director or Training Director at Ottawa River Psychology Group. We will work with you to ensure your practicum meets the standards of your home training institution. Email info @ ottawariverpsychology.com or call 613-656-3331 for more information.
- Graduate-level practicum year placements have an expectation of a gradual transition into 12-20 hours of individual psychotherapy weekly as well as weekly individual supervision, bi-monthly group supervision, weekly team meetings, monthly grand rounds and activities for your professional development planned as part of your supervisory agreement with your primary clinical supervisor. Case assignments are appropriate to your assessed level of readiness, in consultation with your primary supervisor and the acting clinical director of ORPG.
- Graduate level Clinical Practicum Year is for credit as part of an academic clinical training program and therefore is usually not paid. However there is no charge for clinical supervision, support, consultation, and the varied clinical exposure and teamwork opportunities during the year.
- Those successfully completing the Graduate-level Practicum Year with satisfactory or very satisfactory ratings from supervisors will be awarded a Third Wave Psychology or Psychotherapy Practicum certificate from ORPG.
- Post-Graduate Supervised Clinical Practicum Year aka Third Wave Psychotherapy Fellowship:
- Post-graduate clinical professionals who
- have completed a graduate program in a relevant field AND
- are in the process of completing requirements for professional college registration AND
- are aspiring clinicians desiring to specialize in Third Wave psychological interventions AND are one of the following:
- are in career transition OR
- re-specializing in Third Wave psychological interventions OR
- have insufficient clinical experience or skill (defined by direct clinical contact with supervision by a registered psychotherapist or psychologist) in the assessment of ORPG training committee members to be eligible to function at an Early Career Clinician or Qualifying Registered Psychotherapist position within the Ottawa Rier Psychology Group team
- may apply for a Post-Graduate Supervised Clinical Practicum Year aka Third Wave Psychotherapy Fellowship. This is essentially the same training as a Graduate-level Practicum Year but the Post-Graduate Supervised Clinical Practicum Year/Third Wave Psychotherapy is paid.
- Post Graduate Supervised Clinical Practicum Year/Third Wave Psychotherapy Fellow team members are paid a nominal fellowship fee for their clinical work done under the close supervision of their primary clinical supervisor. There is NO charge for their individual or group supervision.
- Post Graduate Supervised Clinical Practicum Year/Third Wave Psychotherapy Fellow team members are not charged for individual or group supervision completed during the year.
- Note that the Post-Graduate Supervised Clinical Practicum Year/Third Wave Psychotherapy Fellowship does not guarantee an offer as an Early Career Clinician (ECC) at Ottawa River Psychology Group but does greatly increase the opportunity for exposure to and connection with the Ottawa River Psychology Group team clinicians and allows for an evaluation of fit should future Early Career Clinician openings become available.
- Those successfully completing an average of 10-12 or more supervised clinical hours per week for the duration of the Post-Graduate-level Practicum Year AND with satisfactory or very satisfactory ratings from supervisors will be awarded a Third Wave Psychotherapy Fellow certificate from ORPG attesting to their professional accomplishment.
- Post-graduate clinical professionals who
- Supervised Practice Psychologists aka Third Wave Psychology Post-Doctoral Fellowship:
- Our Doctoral-level Registered Clinical Psychologists may offer supervision to psychologist colleagues who are in the process of completing their Supervised Practice year for College of Psychologists of Ontario registration.
- Supervised Practice Psychologists: Ph.D. candidates in Clinical or Counselling Psychology from APA or CPA accredited graduate programs who are interested in a Supervised Practice year as defined by the College of Psychologists of Ontario may apply for supervised practice within Ottawa River Psychology Group as a Doctoral Clinician supervised by one of our Registered Psychologists.
- Supervised Practice Psychologists practice within the Ottawa River Psychology Group as a fully functioning team member with a primary supervisor from the Ottawa River Psychology Group registered psychologist team and the full supports of our talented and supportive inter-professional team.
- This is a paid position where the Supervised Practice Psychologist is reimbursed close to the same level as an Autonomous Practice Psychologist on the team but must fulfill CPO requirements for their supervised practice year.
- There is no charge for weekly supervision by the primary supervisor for Supervised Practice Psychologists.
- Those successfully completing an average of 10-12 or greater supervised clinical hours per week for the duration of the Supervised Practice year AND with satisfactory or very satisfactory ratings from supervisors AND with demonstration of emerging professional leadership in the field of Contextual Behavioral Science/Third Wave Psychotherapy in the form of the development of professional workshops, research and/or publications or other forms of demonstrable professional leadership in Third Wave Psychology/Psychotherapy and the Contextual Behavioral Science professional community will be awarded a Third Wave Psychology Post-Doctoral Fellow certificate from ORPG attesting to their professional accomplishment.
- Early Career Clinician/Registered Psychotherapist Qualifying (ECC) in Third Wave Psychotherapy
- Early Career clinicians/recent graduates with significant graduate and post-graduate client contact hours supervised by a registered psychotherapist or psychologist or with signficant post-graduate clinical experience are invited to apply for a Early Career Clinician position at Ottawa River Psychology Group.
- ECCs are usually in the first 5-7 years of full time professional practice.
- If successful in their application to ORPG, Early Career clinicians will be offered a part or full time hours, supervision that is a combination of individual weekly and/or bi-monthly group supervision (based on their level of clinical experience and professional development needs), and offered an associate contract at a professional level rate of reimbursement.
- Early Career clinicians are fully functioning members of the Ottawa River Psychology team who carry a part time or full time caseload (depending on associate agreement) under supervision of a Doctoral Clinician registered clinical psychologist or a Senior Clinician Registered Psychotherapist with advanced training in supervision that meet CRPO requirements for supervision. This supervision may occur exclusively in a bi-monthly group supervision format, with group size determined by CRPO requirements.
- Early Career clinicians (ECC) work with the Clinical Director at the time of their associate offer to define supervision needs.
- All Early Career clinicians and Senior Clinicians and Doctoral Psychologists at ORPG are guaranteed bi-monthly small group supervision.
- Depending on the practice need for specialty supervision for specific approaches or clinical work with specific populations, ORPG may contract and pay for individual supervision for an ECC at no charge, however this is not guaranteed. ORPG agreements for individual supervision with individual Early Career clinicians may vary depending on level of experience and clinical need. In the case of ORPG needing to specifically train and individual for a specific approach or population ORPG will bear the cost for this weekly individual supervision for a defined period of time.
- The Early Career Clinician has more autonomy in choosing supervisors and may choose their own individual supervisor within or outside of ORPG in order to seek out specialized mentoring or training in a specific approach at their own expense.
- If an Early Career Clinician has a desire for additional individual supervision intensity, frequency or for a longer length of time beyond what is offered by their agreement with the Ottawa River Psychology Group, they may:
- approach and contract with qualified ORPG supervisors for supervision at their own expense. If working within the ORPG team, unless otherwise negotiated with the potential supervisor, then full clinical fees will apply.
- Early Career individuals desiring extra supervision may also create individual supervision and payment agreements entirely autonomously with supervisors within or outside of ORPG at their own expense.
- To reiterate, ECCs are paid at a professional rate of reimbursement set by ORPG at the time of offer.
- Community Clinical Consultation or Clinical Supervision for Community members in Third Wave Psychology or Psychotherapy:
- Community Clinical Consultation or Clinical Supervision in Third Wave Psychology or Psychotherapy with ORPG Supervisors does not entitle the supervisee to ORPG Third Wave Psychology/Psychotherapy Practicum, Psychotherapy Fellow or Post-Doctoral Psychology Fellow certification status from ORPG.
- Our Doctoral-level Registered Clinical Psychologists may be available to offer CPO-defined clinical consultation to Qualifying Registered Psychotherapists. For more information contact the psychologist you are interested in working with directly or contact the ORPG office at 613-656-3331 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our Senior Clinician Registered Psychotherapist Supervisors who have completed CRPO requirements and received permission from CRPO to offer CRPO-defined clinical supervision are available to offer supervision to CRPO qualifying Registered Psychotherapists either from within ORPG as an Early Career ORPG Clinician or from the Ottawa community.
- *For the differences in definitions of supervision between the College of Psychologists of Ontario and the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario see below
- College of Psychologists of Ontario on Supervision vs Consultation:
“Consultation is defined in the Standards as: … the provision of information, within a relationship of professionals of relatively equal status, generally based upon a limited amount of information that offers a point of view that is not binding with respect to the subsequent professional behaviour of the recipient of the information.
Supervision is defined as:…an ongoing educational, evaluative and hierarchical relationship, where the supervisee is required to comply with the direction of the supervisor, and the supervisor is responsible for the actions of the supervisee.”
College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario on Supervision:
“Clinical supervision as a contractual relationship in which a clinical supervisor engages with a supervisee to discuss the direction of therapy and the therapeutic relationship; promote the professional growth of the supervisee; enhance the supervisee’s safe and effective use of self in the therapeutic relationship; and safeguard the well-being of the client.”
- College of Psychologists of Ontario on Supervision vs Consultation:
We look forward to working with colleagues and future colleagues who share our passion for Third Wave psychology/psychotherapy and the vision. mission and values of Ottawa River Psychology Group.
Contact us to the attention of Acting Clinical Director and Training Director, Ottawa River Psychology Group