This group is for adults diagnosed with, or who are experiencing symptoms they feel are consistent with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD).
To determine whether you might be a good fit for this group please consider the following:
- Do you frequently feel anxious anxiety and stressed? i.e., experience anticipatory expectation, on more days than you do not, for at least the last six months?
- Do you tend to worry about a variety of different topics such as: your health or that of others close to you, your performance at work and/or school, about your safety or the wellbeing others, about the future in general?
- Do you find it very challenging and/or distressing to deal with uncertain situations?
- Do you often feel restlessness or on edge?
If you responded yes to two or more of these you may be eligible to take part in this group. Continue reading to find out more about the process of joining in.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) has been found to be a beneficial treatment for GAD, and research is showing that elements of Yoga may represent a promising avenue to be used to boost the effectiveness of standard CBT treatment.
With the full Yoga-R-CBT-for-GAD program you will learn:
- To recognize and challenge inaccurate, maladaptive automatic thoughts and beliefs
- To bring non-judgemental awareness to thoughts without becoming overwhelmed
- To better tolerate and make room for physiological aspects of anxiety
- To regulate breathing patterns for a greater sense of overall calm
- To modify posture and move in ways that directly impact emotions in positive ways
- To recognize and tap into unique strengths and gifts
- To develop your courage and self-confidence
- To create a deeper capacity for compassion
- You are between the ages of 18 and 50 years old
- You do not have or experiencing any major health concerns, especially chronic pain, cancer, serious ongoing injury, or are pregnant, etc.
- Your doctor has cleared you to be healthy enough to participate in this kind of program (i.e., a program involving gentle Yoga posture and some breath work that engages the abdomen in each session and for homework throughout the 8 weeks
Wednesdays from 6:00-8:00 PM for 8 weeks beginning September 11-October 30 2019.
Total: $1000 due 1 week prior to start date = September 4 2019.
- Fees Include: Hand-outs, worksheets, and several audio recordings of the meditations, relaxation practices, and chants
Early Bird: $895 if register and pay in full by August 11, 2019.
Payment can be made by e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting 613-656-3331 to pay by credit card.
Refund Policy: 7 days prior to start date = Sept 4 2019
About Group Instructor:
The Yoga-R-CBT-for-GAD program will be offered by Dr. Kamala Pilgrim, C. PSYCH, a Ph.D. registered clinical psychologist (licensed with the College of Psychologists of Ontario, certificate # 6258) with graduate level training in cognitive behavioural therapy and certification in Ashtanga-Vinyasa Yoga (at the 200-hour level, from a well-established studio: YogaWorks in Atlanta, Georgia). She is additionally a long-time practitioner of a form of Kundalini Yoga: i.e., Kriya pranayama as well as meditation.
How Do I Register:
***DO NOT CLICK THE REGISTER BUTTON ON THIS PAGE. Please call the office at 613-656-3331 to schedule your complimentary pre-registration consultation to confirm group fit.***
NOTE: This is a requirement prior to registration.
An invoice will be provided upon completion for this group activity under the clinician’s name and license number.
If you have third-party insurance, it may cover all or part of the cost of a therapeutic course. We recommend that you contact your insurance provider to confirm what health professions your plan covers (e.g. Psychologist, Psychotherapist, Social Worker, Occupational Therapist, Naturopath), and that this coverage includes the types of therapies in question (i.e. a group program or course) Sometimes there are restrictions on the particular services covered by a given health profession. Please confirm that profession is covered by your insurance and that the program is not an excluded service for that profession.